Monday, October 3, 2011

Why I do what I do

There are a few reasons why I DIY. I'm sure a therapist could analyze me for hours but here's what I came up with

Cost. I save WAY more money doing it myself. If you can get something that looks almost exactly the same as buying it new, or hiring a contractor at more than half the cost in most cases, would you?

I am the baby of my family. I have 4 older brothers and sisters and I'm sure they can vouch that I want to do things myself. I didn't need help getting to the top of the tree when I was younger and now I can certainly hang a sheet of bead board by myself.

Every time I work on a project involving power tools some guy I know (and some I don't) asks me if I need help. By "need help" they mean I'm a chick and shouldn't be using tools. I can read between the lines. The simple fact of the matter is I'm completely capable of using dangerous tools. In fact, I'm probably more careful than most men because I actually read the owners manuals. I don't want some gallant man to come to my aid in the garage and rescue me from a table saw. My husband rescues me by bringing me flowers and taking me antiquing. He doesn't ask me to put down the drill before I hurt someone.

I love trying new things. Sometimes it would be easier to buy something. But if I always did that how would I know how to use power tools? How would I know that muriatic acid makes metal rust? How would I know to turn the light switch off before hanging a light if I didn't electrocute the pee waddle out of myself once? Knowledge is power and I can't take over the world if I don't have any knowledge!!!

I love creating beautiful things. I love the satisfaction or recycling a pile of garbage into something cool. I love working with my hands and feel accomplished when I put in a hard day of renovating or cleaning or landscaping. And I love having my kids along side me in the garage or back yard working on projects. I'm kinda sad for the day all of them will be in school and I won't hear "Why are you banging that?" or "I wanna bang that!" all day long.

That's all I got for now. I'll let you know if I come up with any other reason why I'm as crazy as I am. Feel free to add to it!

6 comments:

  1. Good for you. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what girl doesnt want to be empowered? personally i would rather do on my own than wait for someone to do something for me. that way it gets done on my time frame and my vision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Knowledge is power and I can't take over the world if I don't have any knowledge!!!"

    Lookout world!!!!!!

    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete